Having a food intolerance or allergy can suck at times. Anyone with an intolerance will know the feeling of sitting across the table from someone tucking into a big dessert & thinking "if only".
This brownie recipe is for everyone. It's gluten free, dairy free & suitable for vegans too. It's also relatively "diet friendly" in comparison to other brownies meaning you can have a little whilst watching your waistline too.
My favourite way to have this is warm & gooey from the oven but if you fancy making a big batch then keep in an airtight tub for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month (just make sure you defrost them thoroughly before eating!). They travel well in tupperware too so you can sneak them into your favourite coffee shop meaning you don't have to miss out when everyone else has a cake.
Try serving with some dairy free ice cream for an extra level of indulgence!
Servings: Makes 18 squares
Macros per square:
65kcal / 1.5g protein / 9g carbs / 2g fat / 2.5g fibre
50g coconut flour (available in the baking or free from aisle of most large supermarkets)
400g sweet potato
200ml coconut milk
50g cocoa powder
20g coconut oil (melted)
40g agave nectar (or honey if non vegan)
30g choc shot (available in hot chocolate aisle of most large supermarkets)
1 tsp baking powder
(If a sweeter brownie is desired just add more agave, choc shot, or sprinkle on a little icing sugar or stevia if you're looking to keep the calories down).
1. Prepare sweet potato - peel, chop into chunks & boil until soft. Mash into fine puree (or blend using food processor) & set aside to cool. Make sure there are no lumps in the potato - for best results it needs to be as smooth as possible.
2. Once cooled, mix together sweet potato, coconut flour, coconut oil, cocoa powder, agave, baking powder & coconut milk - mix should look like a thick batter - if more liquid is needed add water (slowly!) as appropriate.
3. Spoon batter into lined brownie tin (or disposable foil tray). Decorate top of brownies using Choc Shot.
4. Bake in centre of preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, leave to cool slightly for a few minutes & serve! :-)