I absolutely LOVE the festive season, the extra meals out, social occasions & drinks with family & friends. However, these can soon make the calories (& your waistline!) creep up if not kept in check.
One of the strategies I use to stay within my overall calorie targets for the day when eating out is to save the majority of my calories for the evening.
I have a much lower calorie breakfast & lunch, that way I know I can indulge a little more when it matters & still stay within my targets for the day. When eating out meals can tend to be lower in protein & higher in fats too so I also try & account for this by keeping the protein high & fats low in my breakfast & lunch too.
I also use this strategy with my clients too & very often they'll ask for ideas of low fat, high protein breakfasts they could have & this is one I share with them. These super skinny pancakes contain just 240 calories & a decent 40g protein serving to set you up for the day.
(For a super skinny lunch idea check out my TUNA BURGERS & SKINNY FRIES recipes.)
Servings: Makes 1 stack
Macros per stack:
240kcal / 40g protein / 12g carbs / 3g fat / 4g fibre
30g vanilla protein powder (if your powder is not very sweet add a touch of stevia to sweeten)
1 tbsp coconut flour
50g blueberries (or other berries of choice)
120g egg whites
1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Place all ingredients except blueberries in a blender & mix until a thick batter is formed.
2. Slice blueberries in half (this makes it easier to flip the pancakes but if you're not worried about having "pretty" pancakes then you can skip this step).
3. Spray a pan with low calorie cooking spray ( I use Fry Light 1 calorie coconut oil spray) & put on hob on medium heat.
4. Pour in pancake mix (split into desired number of pancakes for stack) & press blueberries gently into each pancake (you can save some blueberries to sprinkle on top). For perfect pancakes make sure the heat is not too high - this will stop the pancake sticking or burning on the outside before the middle is cooked through. You'll know when it's time to flip the pancake when you wobble the pan & the mix looks stable & "jelly like" i.e. no longer really runny on top.
5. Remove pancakes from pan & assemble however you like. Top with remaining blueberries, calorie free syrup or anything else that takes your fancy.
5. Eat! :-)